SalesLoft Review from a New User
What it looks like to implement a Sales Engagement Platform
My goal here is to give you a SalesLoft review and some high-level best practices as a SalesLoft user.
I’ve known about SalesLoft for quite a while now as one of the premier Atlanta Startups. Over the last few months, our team at IT Hands has worked on implementing SalesLoft into our process of reaching out to prospective clients.
Let me preface my SalesLoft review with a more theoretical discussion on Sales Automation. Sales Automation is a term that has been used a lot in the last few years. There are endless tools and software that all promise generally the same end result: less work and more deals closed.
Sounds amazing, right? Sure does, but this is the common misconception with Sales Automation. The reality is that there is no single tool nor suite of tools that is going to do the full job of a salesperson. We have to remember that these tools are inherently meant to make salespeople more efficient and effective, but they aren’t meant to do the job.
At IT Hands, we take pride in a personal and genuine approach in our outreach to prospective clients. Our goal is to make it clear in our first email to a web company, marketing firm, or ad agency that from a 10,000-foot view we have a valuable service that will support their growing business. Honestly, the prospect that we are reaching out to might not be a fit, which is why it is so helpful to have a conversation to make that determination. It all starts there.
I won’t take you through every step in our process, but the end goal is to have a meeting with our prospect and determine if IT Hands can help or not. SalesLoft helps us to do this with ease and efficiency.
Now, onto my thoughts and SalesLoft review as a user:
- I fell into the trap of thinking that SalesLoft was going to do my job for me. I quickly realized that in order to maintain our genuine approach, it takes a lot of time, effort, and experimenting to set up SalesLoft properly. The great thing about this is that the team at SalesLoft is with you every step of the way.
- It takes a few months to get your feet under you with the platform. There is a ton of functionality that will ultimately prove to be very helpful, but for now, we are only using probably 50% of the full functionality. If you have an existing sales process in place, you’ll most likely have to adjust to fit SalesLoft, or get up to speed quickly to figure out how to customize SalesLoft to fit your needs.
- SalesLoft makes automated emails much easier than mindlessly sending those types of emails in Gmail or Outlook. I’ll admit, there are some emails that I am perfectly fine with being automated. For example, meeting confirmations or basic email follow-ups.
- SalesLoft has a strong dashboard that will show you all of the cadences that need to be done for the day. “Cadence” is SalesLoft’s term for the outreach steps or process. We haven’t gotten to the place of being able to fully use the Dashboard as our sole mode of operation, but that is the goal for the next few months. This feature is a powerful time-saver once you get used to the platform. It’s also is a way to make sure your prospects get the adequate touch points without letting them slip through the cracks.
- The analytics are powerful and informative. You can see what emails are catching on with people, and which ones are being ignored or deleted immediately. Let’s face it, no one wants to get the same junk email that we are all accustomed to. As a salesperson, it can be hard to take an objective look at the content you’re sending to prospects. SalesLoft will give you loads of data that will help you make informed decisions.
The short summary is that SalesLoft offers everything we, as an IT company, need in a platform. It would add more efficiency and effectiveness to any company willing to take the time to learn how to use this tool. We have a long way to go until we are operating at full capacity in SalesLoft, but we are making progress.
Here are a few words of advice for new users:
- Expect a few months of ramp-up time before you fully understand the basic functionality of SalesLoft, and a couple more months to understand the advanced functionality.
- Know that you might have to adjust your existing sales process to make it work with SalesLoft. In the long run, you’ll be more efficient so don’t worry too much about this.
- Fail and fail fast. Pick yourself up and start experimenting again to determine what works.
- Use your resources. SalesLoft offers a ton of online training and even in-person meetings in select cities to help you navigate the platform and share best practices.
As they say at SalesLoft, “Happy lofting!”
Need help ramping up your outbound sales process or looking for some advice on sales tools and processes? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IT Hands provides quality, custom web development services to web companies and ad agencies. Our globally-dispersed team is a tight-knit community focused on delivering excellent results using agile processes. In over fifteen years, more than 450 clients have been thrilled by the competency, trustworthy consultation, increased capacity and cost effectiveness we bring to every project.